SERVING THE NATIONS ON THE COLLEGE CAMPUS
ISO is here to help you in whatever way we can!
We want to offer a special welcome to you as a new, incoming student!
We are here to help you in your process of coming to the USA to go to school.
Maybe you are just considering coming to the USA to go to college...
Maybe you have recently been accepted to the University of Minnesota...
Maybe you have booked your airline tickets and now have many more questions...
Our hope is to be able to help you answer your questions, properly prepare you for your transition, and assist you when you arrive to the USA.
Things might seems overwhelming for you now, but as you work through the tasks of each day up to the start of school, you will begin to feel more and more comfortable in your new surroundings. You will work through your first week of class and soon you will become accustomed to your new city and life at the U of MN. And then, before you know it, you will be done with your first semester and be an expert student!
Listed below are ISO's suggestion for new, incoming students:
Before you arrive to the USA...
* Make sure all your university admissions papers are in order
* Make sure your visa papers are in order
* Fill out the Assistance Form on our website
This will allow us to assist you with answering your specific questions, airport pickup, lining up a host family and other services that we can provide.
* If you haven't already, join Facebook and join our group "International Student Outreach".
This will help you network with other local international student and be informed of all the events ISO has planned in a personable manner.
* Consider your permanent housing options
One of the biggest tasks for a new student to the university is finding housing. ISO highly recommends that you do some planning for your temporary and permanent housing accommodations before you arrive. We have had many students that we have picked up from the airport who do not know where they will stay. This proves to be very stressful for first time students in a new university with unfamiliar surroundings. Please remember that ISO can assist you with locating a host family if you need a place to stay your first few days here. Fill out the Assistance Form on our website to line up a host family.
* Every International student must go through the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) which is an official university department that has been set up to assist new, international, undergraduate students. ISSS has compiled a checklist with the steps that new, international, undergraduate students need to take before and immediately after arriving to the University of Minnesota. We highly encourage you to follow this checklist for an easy transition.
After you arrive to the USA...
Upon arrival to the USA, ISO can begin to assist you with other details such as:
* getting settled in temporary housing
* finalizing your permanent housing and helping you move in
* giving you a ride to ISSS for your document check
* giving you a tour of campus
* helping you set up a bank account
* helping you purchase a US cell phone and/or plan
* bringing you shopping for things you may need to purchase (apartment furnishings, food, laptops, books, etc...)
We strongly encourage you to meet new people, attend social events, and make new friends when you arrive...this will help you feel comfortable in your new surroundings. We have many social events planned for International students and invite you to participate!